Thanks to author Stephen King’s tweet regarding 20$ per month for the blue check, Elon Musk has reevaluated the price for the Twitter Blue.
Stephen King tweeted in response to Twitter’s blue subscription price announcement: “$20 a month to keep my blue check? F*** that, they should pay me. If that gets instituted, I’m gone like Enron.”
Elon Musk replied “We need to pay the bills somehow! Twitter cannot rely entirely on advertisers. How about $8? He added: I will explain the rationale in a longer form before this is implemented. It is the only way to defeat the bots & trolls.”
Afterward, Musk officially announced Twitter’s blue tick will cost $8 a month.
He tweeted: “Twitter’s current lords & peasants system for who has or doesn’t have a blue checkmark is bullshit. Power to the people! Blue for $8/month, he continued; price adjusted by country proportionate to purchasing power parity.”
He outlined the benefits of subscribing to Twitter Blue, in the same tweet thread.
What is Twitter Blue, By The Way?
In 2021, Twitter introduced Twitter Blue, an opt-in, optional paid monthly subscription that offers access to premium features for $4.99. The service allows users to customize their Twitter experience and this subscription service is made available only in the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand.
Benefits of Twitter Blue:
- Elon explained that “paying for a blue tick will give them priority in replies, mentions, and searches, which is critical to preventing spam and scams.”
- “Users will be able to post long videos and audio for $8 per month.”
- “The amount of advertising shown to these users will be halved”
- Also, he elaborated: “Publishers who use Twitter will be able to bypass the paywall.” and “Twitter will also receive an additional revenue stream to reward content creators.”
- The secondary tag will be displayed below the name of anyone who is a public figure, as is currently the case for politicians, Musk concluded.
In his latest tweet, he stated: To all complainers, please continue complaining, but it will cost $8.
If you’re wondering: Blue ticks will be removed from those who do not subscribe to Twitter blue.