In a new cover story for Vanity Fair, Margot Robbie revealed that Disney has cancelled her female-led “Pirates of the Caribbean” movie, to which the outlet has contacted the studio for further information. In June 2020, Oscar nominee Robbie was announced to star in a new movie based on the “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise written by Christina Hodson, the screenwriter of Birds of Prey.
“We had an idea and we were developing it for a while, ages ago, to have more of a female-led, not totally female-led, but just a different kind of story which we thought would’ve been really cool,” Robbie told Vanity Fair of her planned Disney “Pirates” project. “But I guess they don’t want to do it.”
In the summer of 2020, Variety reported Disney was in the early stages of developing Robbie’s “Pirates” movie and another reboot helmed by Ted Elliott and Craig Mazin, the franchise’s original creator. At the time, Jerry Bruckheimer, who produced all five “Pirates” films starring Johnny Depp, was attached to both new projects.
Bruckheimer said both films remained in development in a May interview with The Sunday Times. He also confirmed that Johnny Depp is not currently involved with the “Pirates” franchise.
“Yes. We’re talking to Margot Robbie. We are developing two Pirates scripts — one with her, one without,” Bruckheimer revealed when asked about the franchise’s future. “[Will Depp be back?] Not at this point. The future is yet to be decided.”
Since then, however, there have been significant changes in the entertainment industry. Recently, Johny Deep won his lawsuit against her ex-wife Amber heard, and has regained his prominence in the industry.
Has Disney decided to cancel Margot Robbie’s project in order to secure the return of Johnny Deep? Uncertainty remains.